Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Kim Kardashian Got Me a Job

As I have previously mentioned, I have been looking for a new job since I graduated college over a year ago (some times more diligently than others - this is one of those "more diligent" times). Ever since I started to drown in my student loan debt and bills, I realized that the perfect job just wasn't going to fall in my lap. Of course I had realized this before, but I also finally realized I could not afford to wait any longer, trying to hold out for something with benefits and didn't involve talking to customers. So I would just have to settle for whatever second job I could get and/or continue looking for a better full-time job than I have.

Enter Demand Studios, employers of the writers for websites like eHow and Answerbag. I had heard of web content sites (referred to less nicely as "content farms") like this before but heard they weren't very profitable for writers. I read about this particular employer on Ohio writer Erin O'Brien's blog - actually, the article was for the L.A. Times, but of course the blog linked to it - in which she talked at length about all the reasons it wasn't worth it to write for these sites.

But, of course, Erin O'Brien and other writers with columns, careers, and accolades on their resumes besides "Absolutely Miserable Slicer of Bagels and Ass-Kisser of Total Douche Bags" have the luxury of turning up their nose at what they view as slaving away for The (Writing) Man.

"It's like working at McDonald's," O'Brien said to her husband, of writing for Demand Studios, "but for writers."

While that was probably meant to turn me off from wanting to write for them, the comment was actually encouraging. I have no writing experience on my resume. None. And I want to be a writer. Ha. I've spent the last year or so trying to figure out how the hell I would even acquire a good writing sample to show to someone, let alone be hired anywhere to write professionally. So when Ms. O'Brien invoked the image of McDonald's, I thought,

"Right, McDonald's - the place where you go to work for minimum wage when you have nothing else on your resume!"

I applied. And because I didn't have a "real" writing sample, because they gave no guidelines for the application, and because it was late and I just submitted the thing as an afterthought, I sent them the material from this post - sans profanity.

Guess what? They hired me. I'm a "real" writer. I have a second job (not the most lucrative, I'll admit, but it works), and I can start building a portfolio. I have submitted three articles so far; one has been approved, another was re-written and re-submitted, and the third is still pending review.

Holy shit. My name will be on the internet. (You may be shocked to learn this, but it is NOT Bagel Fairy. Sorry.)

In other job news, I haven't heard anything about that job for which I interviewed three weeks ago (not surprising since the position I was supposed to fill wasn't even available anymore and he didn't know if anything would open up anywhere). However, I did have an interview today for a better food service job. My friend, who works the front desk at a hotel downtown, hooked me up with info for a lead position at the cafe there. I'd be in charge, make more money, and work nights instead of days. I think the interview went pretty well and that I have a good shot at it, although I had to go straight from work to there and my shirt looked a bit wrinkly. (If I get this job and not the job for which I agonized over ironing my shirt for the interview, I am never ironing anything again because it is clearly pointless.)

Probably more noteworthy than my interview outfit, however, was my makeup. I have worn makeup precisely twice since my sister's wedding in April, and very few times over the last year. I used to wear a full face (concealer, foundation, powder, blush, eyeshadow, mascara, etc.) every day in high school. I continued on this path when I started college for about one week of classes. Then one day I kind of realized that makeup wouldn't just turn me into a knockout, so what was the point? I didn't want to be one of those fat girls who caked on eyeliner in the vain hope of distracting myself from being unhappy with my body. So I would wear it to go out, and that was it.

Now I almost never wear it, so it was no surprise that everyone at work took a double take. The reactions and ensuing conversations from those who noticed were all about the same.

"Wow, you're wearing makeup - you look pretty! I mean, um, it's not that you weren't before..."

And then we would get all awkward and change the subject.

One conversation went like this.

Him: Whoa, what's with the eyeliner? Is that last night's makeup?
Me: No. Does it look that bad?
Him: No, it's just that you never wear that. Were you out a little late last night?
Me: No. I must have done a terrible job if you think it's from last night.
Him: So, you did it this morning? Like, at 4?
Me: Yeah.
Him: God, I don't understand girls. Why they-
Me: I wanted to look halfway decent because I have an interview today! Jesus-
Him: I have an interview today!

All I can say is that I really, really hope I get this (or some other) job soon. And you can bet that I'll start wearing eyeliner so this never happens again.

1 comment:

  1. Be weary. I've heard Demand Studios isn't quite as they advertise: http://www.frogenyozurt.com/2010/03/the-truth-about-demand-studios/

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: Comments which have not been proofread and/or thoroughly researched may be mocked.