Monday, November 1, 2010

Please go away. I'm NaNo-ing.

I might be a little scarce over the next month (right…as if I haven’t been scarce enough already lately). I will be writing a novel.

‘A novel? Are you out of your goddamn mind? You think you’re going to do that working six days a week, when you couldn’t even do it working part time?’

Yes, a novel. Yes, I’m out of my goddamn mind. Yes, I really believe I will do it this time.

Allow me to explain. NaNoWriMo.org (National Novel Writing Month) is all about getting its millions of participants to write a 50,000-word novel in 30 days. They do it in November because no one wants to go outside then anyway, and they do it in a month to light a fire under our asses. You write 50,000 words in order to “win.” Technically, you don’t win anything concrete, but you can claim the title of novelist.

I’ve tried it before, and failed so hard it was embarrassing. But I really do feel something is different this year. I think it was spending the entire summer broke and feeling like I had absolutely nothing, and once I got to the point of feeling like I had nothing, I felt like I might as well try anything. Being in that position helps you sort out your life and really think about what’s important, because when time is money and you have none of the latter, you’re willing to give all of the former to anything that might improve things.

Now that things have balanced out a bit, I’m ready to fully commit. Because I have so little time to kill anymore, I’m prepared to really do something I feel will be useful. I also think I’m better about focusing less on what happens if and when my work gets published, and how much money I can potentially make.

50,000 words a month. 1,667 words a day. Can I do it?

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I know you can do it. My low point was what inspired me to move to NC. Great things can come out of not-so-good periods in our lives :)

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: Comments which have not been proofread and/or thoroughly researched may be mocked.